The Philips HF3520 wake up light with colored sunrise simulation is presently the best-selling gentle wake up alarm clock in the market. An improvement on the HF3500 and HF3510 models, the HF3520 is enjoying huge demand at the moment due to its combination of cool features and affordable price as well the reputation of its manufacturer.
If you need a wake up light and would like to know if the Philips HF3520 would be a good choice or not, then this page is for you. Read on to learn more about the device, so you can make a well-informed decision to buy or not to buy.
Philips HF3520 Wake Up Light: What does it do?
Several studies have revealed that we’re usually happy and full of energy whenever we wake up at dawn or sunrise. This is because the natural light that strikes the body at this time stimulates it to stop the production of sleep hormones and start getting the various systems ready to wake up and face the day.
Unfortunately, however, for some reasons we just can’t afford to prolong our sleep until dawn or sunrise. Chances are this applies to you as well.
The Philips HF3520, like other wake up lights, creates an artificial light that simulates dawn and sunrise. This artificial light prompts your body to wake you up gently and naturally, so that you can wake up being happy and energetic — as though you were woken up by sunrise light.
Philips HF3520 Wake Up Light: How does it work?
If you would like to wake up by 5.30am, for instance, all you need to do is set your alarm to that time. When its 20 to 40 minutes (depending on what you set) to your desired wake-up time, the Philips HF3520 radiates a dim light, which becomes brighter and brighter, and reaches its full intensity by 5.30am.
Based on people’s experience, the light radiated by the device is usually adequate to wake one up. So, the device is a much better replacement for those annoyingly noisy alarms that interrupt your sleep and wake you up in harsh way.
In case you don’t wake up at the set wake-up time — which rarely happens — the devices plays some natural wake up alarm sounds (such as the sounds of singing birds or breathing oceans). You can decide to disable these sounds, though. Alternatively, you can wake up to your favorite radio program (thanks to FM radio feature).
To get the best from the Philips HF3520 sunrise simulation light, you’ll have to use it in a dark room. That is, keep all window blinds and curtains down, and switch off all other lights in your bedroom.
Philips HF3520 Wake Up Light: Features at a glance
- Long lasting bright LED lamp. According to Philips, you won’t need to replace the lamp in 20 years! So, no running costs and no energy drain.
- 20 brightness settings to suit your personal preference. We are different in terms of how much light we can tolerate — and the manufacturer understands that.
- Lamp color changes (red to yellow to white) to mimic natural sunrise. This is what sets the Philips HF3520 apart from others in the market.
- 5 natural wake up alarm sounds. Singing birds, breathing oceans, and similar nature sounds are soothing to the ears, unlike those harsh and rigid tones from alarm clocks.
- Tap the face of the lamp to snooze. In case you’re just not ready to wake up yet, tap the lamp, and it goes into snooze mode — to wake you again nine minutes later.
- FM radio feature included. You can listen to your favorite radio shows anytime or choose to have them wake you up in the morning.
- Serves as bedside lamp. It comes in handy when you need to read or find something before going to bed.
- Cool to touch (safe for children). No electric shocks or hot surfaces.
- Large, easy-to-read LED display. Even if you ordinarily wear eyeglasses, you won’t need them to see what’s on the display. The characters are big and the contrast is sharp.
- Sleek, modern design.
Philips HF3520 Wake Up Light: Buyer reviews and opinions (as seen on Amazon.com)
As at the time of writing this review, there are 1,584 customer reviews on Amazon.com for the Philips HF3520 wake up light with colored sunrise simulation. Of that total, 982 customers gave a 5-star rating and 333 customers gave a 4-star rating. This drives home the fact that most buyers were satisfied with the product. Only 63 buyers gave a 1-star rating. Now, that’s more than impressive!
However, some buyers complained that the control buttons are too tiny and hard to read. Others complained that setting the alarm isn’t as easy as they thought, and they needed to read the manual before figuring out how to do something as simple as that.
In all, we strongly believe that over 1,200 buyers can’t be wrong, and that’s what informed our choice of this wake up light as the best in the market at the moment.